Friday, June 13, 2008

Yes, my godmother did matchmaking

I am French, and my husband and I met on my 3rd trip to the US while I was visiting my godfather's family leaving in Georgia. My "godmother" (godfather's wife) had decided that we really had to meet, to the point that a bit before I met him she said that I would "meet her cousin, fall in love, get married, have children and stay in the United States with them".
No pressure at all to me someone right? Thankfully someone told met that match making never works so I wasn't as freaked out about it as I could have been.

Well we met when we visited the family in North Carolina. If it was a bit awkward at first, not to mention that I was a ball of nerves, we had a good time talking and enjoying the outdoors in the beautiful mountains. We spent two afternoon together and before we left he gave me a note: "Hope to see you again soon. Call me. Much Love. Colt".
The next morning I made him a note that I put with a shirt he had left at the house.

We didn't see each other for an other 10 days or so, when he stopped in GA, on his way to his sister in Florida. Well... so much for Florida, because he stayed with us for 6 days until I had to go back to France. Two very smitten people, very much in love and heartbroken to be separated.
The rest is a lot of long distance, several trips back and forth for me until I decided to stay for good in June 2007.
We got married at the courthouse with some of his family around as well as my little brother that my family sent over. Then applying for the immigration papers to be able to legally stay over. It was that or going back to France and waiting for a fiance visa to come.

We are getting married again, in a more traditional way because we want to share the joy of our relationship with our family, not to mention it's about time my parents meet him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I landed on your blog after I read something you wrote on weddingbee.com. I'm in a similar boat, as in the man I want to marry is Italian and I live in the US. It seems that you and your husband were married on one of your trips to the US, and then you just stayed, versus going the (LONG) K-1 route. Would you mind telling me more about that? you can email me at vespa.rosso@gmail.com Any advice would be so appreciated!