Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Finding the officiant

Our civil wedding was well... what you should expect of a civil wedding in a Courthouse with a magistrate who doesn't really care. Because we have it on tape I know that it took him exactly 40 seconds. Yes only 40 seconds to marry us. It took longer for our witnesses to sign the papers.
Obviously since we are having a family wedding we want to have a special ceremony, with an officiant who takes the time to articulate. I'm still not 100% sure what I said "I do" to last year.

Neither one of us are part of a Church. I was raised Catholic, he was raised Baptist, but we don't feel like we belong to any specific branch of the Christian Church.
We believe in God non the less and if we do not want a religious ceremony we would love to have a spiritual one.
That's why our eyes turned toward the Unity Church.

I was introduce to the Unity Church by his mother. In Hawaii that's where his mom and step-father go to. They have subscribed us to the Daily Word, a Unity Church monthly magazine with some good words and things to think about and to thank God for. I don't necessarily put into practice everything but I find it a good read every morning.
Because we are also mingling two different cultures/nations, we want to have something that would please everyone and mostly us.

So I have to say I was pretty excited when Hubby's aunt told us she new Unity Church Ministers and that they are good friends with them.
It took a while to call. She gave us the number months ago and well we kept on putting it off and waiting for a good time to call and whatnot.
Then two weeks or so ago I called and found myself with the husband on the phone. He told me they are retired ministers but that he still does funerals and her weddings. She wasn't there so he took or phone number to have her call us back.
They lost our phone number and had to ask the aunt for it, called us back and left us a message about 10 days ago.
I talked with Hubby and he wanted to be with me when I called, so again I put it off But with our hectic schedules, it quickly become obvious that I was better off calling on my own, which is what I did tonight.

Well the first contact was full of promises. Fran seems like an open and fun person, she let me know what when we meet she'll have a copy of what she usually does for the ceremony and that we can add or take what we want and we can even write our own ceremony, so that's very promising since we were thinking of having our own vows.
She asked if our family knew we are already married, cute and important question, but yes they do know so nothing to worry about with that part.
She asked if we would exchange rings, which we will as we decided to keep that for the family wedding.
She mentioned a candle ceremony, but said that it could be an issue outside.
She is a liberal person and I am happy about that because for a wedding it means openness.

Now all we have to do is schedule an evening to meet her and see if it does work out or not and what ideas we can both bring into it. I plan to ask her about how much she asks then.

I am very excited about this.
Now on to the next tasks: printing the invitations and contacting photographers.

No comments: