Sunday, August 31, 2008

Unexpected consequences

It has been two years since I left my home country. Two years in which I've tried to keep in touch with not only my family, but also the few close friends I've known since high-school.
Last year, as we were about to get married at the courthouse I found out that my Senior High School friend M. had her relationship with D. going down the drain.
I wanted to be there for her, but the email she used back then was the one she shared with D. And I lost touch completely.
I considered contacting the Hospital were she works at a nurse to get in touch and my Mom even found out how to do that but the process was quite complicated. I have to admit that I got caught up with things and never got around to go through the Hospital administration to get a card to her.

But when came the time to send the wedding invitations, I still wanted her to know about it. So I used the French white pages. I assumed she was still living in the same city, and only one address came out with her name. So deciding that in the worst case someone would think I was a nutcase, I sent an invitation out, hoping it would be to her.
Several weeks later, I remembered to check the wedding website and I had a wonderful surprise. I had forgotten to remove the password. So I had a little note from my friend M. asking for it, and along was her email address.
Luck was on my side. It was the right person living at that address!
She might not be able to make it to the wedding, but who cares, we are back in touch again and that is all I could ask for.

Have you gotten back in touch with lost friends because of your wedding?

No comments: