Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sweet tooth

I have a huge sweet tooth. I always need candies or treats around the house. I love making cookies and cakes, they're actually the first thing I ever learned to cook.
So because of that, the choice of dessert for our wedding is something important. I don't really care how it looks but I want it to be good.

I've tried a few American like wedding cakes and well let's say that the spongy flavored cakes are not up to my expectations. Sure they are easy to turn into giant layered towers but taste wise... And don't even mention the crazy colored cakes I see in the supermarket. The fluorescent colors that only food coloring can provide, the thick glazing hiding the same cake over and over does not make me drool over the displays.
No offense but I grew up in places were we had more boulangerie-pâtisserie than supermarkets. My parents would always make a chocolate cake for our birthday and an other one of our favorites was the Gâteau Russe, a creamy cake with hazelnuts and probably more butter than I want to imagine. So yes my expectations were set high.
I believe that it's because of my disappointment in the taste of layered classic wedding cakes that I decided to go an other way.
Originally, because our meal will be a buffet, we figure we would do the dessert pot luck style and have locals bring some of their specialties. But my mother-in-law offered to pay for the cake.

Well, since Thanksgiving 2007 I've known exactly the kind of cake I want: a Pumpkin Cheesecake. Pumpkins will be in season in the fall and I want to use seasonal food as much as possible, not to mention that the cheesecake in question I tried for Thanksgiving was to die for.
So while I haven't had the time to go around bakeries and taste their products, I've done my researches.
Several options were available:
Greenlife Groceries: our local/organic supermarket had a daily and makes wonderful desserts.
Weel-bred Bakery and Cafe in Weaverville, north of Asheville, their cake display is of the drooling kind.
I even heard about a restaurant located in Marion in the next county were they are supposed to make an incredible variety of cheesecakes.
I was ready to explore all those options until Saturday.

What happened Saturday? We celebrated my birthday with some friends. I had told my husband that all I wanted was a party, a cake and 25 candles. Well he was up to it for the cake. He went to a pastry place called Filo were he usually gets his coffee in the morning and picked a Dulce de Leche/Caramel Cheesecake.
What can I say? That cheesecake was absolutely fantastic. Not only did it look good it was good, creamy, tasty and surprise: light.
I am used to the thick and filling texture of cheesecakes, well this one is about as light as a feather. I brought a slice to my co-worker who missed the party, she had a first bite, looked a me and was like:
"This is not a cheesecake"
"Yes it is."
"But it can't be. It's too light."

So yes you guessed it, I'm very very much tempted to have Filo make a Cheesecake (or two) for our wedding reception. I hope that we can organize a tasting because we also want other cakes available for our guests and we need some inspiration.

Are you choosing to do something different than a traditional layered wedding cake? If so what and what brought that choice?

No comments: