Friday, August 22, 2008

E-share the news

With the family scattered all around the globe and my heavy usage of Internet, it was obvious to me that we should have a wedding website.
I wanted it to be a fun informative tool where our guests could find information that would not fit in the invitation unless we made it a book.

Now all that is great but you have to find the support for it. Although not an Internet professional I do have a little bit of html knowledge (I learned a lot with http://www.lissaexplains.com/) and I know how to create a webpage from scratch. But my skills were definitely too low when it came to creating a full website where every page would have the same background, with an index to the side and pretty pictures everywhere.
I considered using a site like freewebs to create my page but quickly dropped the idea for the reasons mentioned above.

So I started searching pre-made wedding websites were I could host our informations.
I had several criterias in mind:
1)A free website. With our tiny budget I wanted to avoid that kind of expense.
2)A website with flexibility where I could put the information I wanted to share with our guests and even better: pages that I would translate in French.
3)A pretty background. I couldn't see myself with a background that would scream :"Chessy" at me.

Armed with my searching page I typed in "free wedding website".
The first one I came across was:

http://www.ewedding.com/
Their websites have a cute intro and you can create a lot of different pages with various information.
It also has unlimited photos, events, rsvp, etc. You can create files to download and it has a lot of very fun features.
Except that, when you look into their packages option, the Free Website really does not offer much and you have to pay to be able to use all those features.

http://www.ourweddingday.com/
Only offers it free for the 30 day trial.
It is however free for David's Bridal customers.
The main thing was: I couldn't see the features or the background without registering. Wanting to avoid Spam and not sure if just trying David's Bridal dresses was enough to be considered a customer, I decided to skip.

http://www.weddingannouncer.com/
I think I actually started a site there, but gave up because I didn't really like the background and I couldn't have all the information I wanted on the website. It has some cute choices and the basic information you might want to share though

http://www.weddingchannel.com/
A bit like ewedding, they temp you with a free version but you can only put so much in it and should pay to share all you want.
The plus part is that they make a donation to the charity of your choice if you post the registry there.

There were many more but in the end it was under the advice of a friend that I choose to use
http://www.mywedding.com/
Without signing up I was able to look at their various themes and I could even change it's color a bit. They have a wide variety of templates that can fit just about any theme or season.
They are entirely free and not only do they have all the pages I needed but I could customize some of them.
It's very user friendly too, so even without html knowledge you can create a beautiful site.

Do you have a wedding website? Which one are you using and why?

No comments: