Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Melting pot touches

I am French, as French as it gets since according to the genealogy recherches my Mom's family did it goes back to the 12th century.
As I mentioned previously, I am trying to include some French touches to honor my family and my culture. Well Hubby is too.
My husband is his own melting pot/salad bowl. From his father he is Scotch-Irish and Welsh. From his mother he is Japanese and Portugese, with a touch of Hawaiian culture if not blood since that's where his Japanese and Portugese ancestors have been for the past 100 years.

One of the first things he mentioned was the possibility of him wearing a kilt for the ceremony. He has never worn one in his life, nor shown such a great interest in things related to his heritage, but suddenly he wants one. Well he had been talking about getting a utilikilt for a while but that's about it.
My first though was probably to giggle at the though of him wearing a skirt and how to avoid the temptation of teasing him about it.
However I have to admit that after doing some research on the option, I've come to fall in love with the idea. I know he can pull it off and I would love to see the blend of our various cultures.
I will develop later on the different options we've been looking into for him with more details.
[image source: Scottish-weddings.scotclans.com]

Now on top of the Irish-Scottish-Welsh heritage, we have the participation of his mom. She's offered to bring some Lei, the Hawaiian flower necklace, to put on the groomsmen, they would be made out of Ti leaves and maybe Kukui nuts if I understood correctly instead of flowers. Which would look somewhat like that:

[source: www.paradiseflowers.com]
She is now also offering to bring Macademia nuts as favors for our guests. I'm not sure how they'll manage to bring of that, but hey why not.

Now, however much I love each idea separately, I have no idea how we are going to pull off this mix of styles and cultures without looking like a party of clowns.
So this is going to take some serious thinking, and I hope we can included the various aspects of each culture. Let's say that we will not have a boring wedding...

Do you have any weird cultural elements that you want to or have to included in your wedding? How are you going to blend them together?

No comments: