Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A rush of sugar to the head

As I mentionned before, I have a sweet tooth. The cake can look any way the baker wants, it doesn't really matters to me. No what matters is the taste. I want flavor. I don't need tones of tasteless icing.

In France the traditionnal wedding cake are little puff pastries filled with pastry cream. Martha Stewart has it on her site as Croquembouche, and it's my grandmother's absolute favorite. She could eat the whole cake on her own, scary.

We didn't plan to have anything traditionnal (French or American). To be honest the wedding cake did not really matter in the sense of what it represents. We just wanted some good desserts.
At first I was ready to have family pinch in and bake some cakes: pumpkin cheesecakes and other recipes with a seasonal touch.
But it so happens that his mom offered to pay for our cake. So it's a baker who will take care of it, well of our cakes.

As I mentionned before, I really want one of the cakes to be a pumpkin cheesecake. And afte tasting Filo Pastries Dulce de Leche cheesecake, I knew I wanted them to do it, and then do the other cakes too. I talked to the owner Maria and she was open for a cake tasting, we discussed ahead of time what we were looking for: seasonal cakes. One of the main reason for that is that we want to use ingredients that are in season and don't have to be exported from far far away.
So on top of the pumpkin cheesecake she suggested: a hummingbird cake, a spice cake, an apple cake and then Hubby wanted a red velvet cake.

We decided not to try the spice cake because the other options just seemed more unique. So one evening after work, we went to meet Maria at Filo Pastrie.
A table was waiting for us with 4 plates, two glasses of water, forks and 4 giant slices of cake.

From left to right and top to bottom, I present you:
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Red Velvet Cake
Hummingbird Cake
Apple Cake.

I was salivating at the view. Maria sat down with us to listen to what we though.
I started with the Pumpkin Cheescake, I think that no matter what it was going to taste I already knew it was in. It was as light as a cloud, just like whipped cream (I don't mean calorie light). Pumpkins are not quite in season yet when we tried it and while the taste was good, I think it will be even better comes november.

The second cake was the hummingbird cake made with pinapple, pecans, banana and a cream cheese icing. Excellent, great texture and with a hint of cinnamon in it; it had my vote. Pineapple and banana are not exactly local products, but I think we'll make an exception on that one.

The third cake was the Apple Cake, also with pecans in it, and with plenty of spices. Cloves were very obvious and I just loved it. A perfect fall cake. The icing was also covered with crushed pecans making the outside of the cake as beautiful as tasty.

The last cake was the Red Velvet Cake that Hubby suggested. While it was good, it tasted a bit bland after the three others. I guess I was expecting something else, I was told it had chocolate and I really couldn't taste it.

So in the end we eliminate the Red Velvet Cake from our list and decided instead to have a Mochat Chocolate Torte. Thicker (a nice change to the other cake's textures) and definitely more chocolaty. I like chocolate and when it comes to it I don't do it halfway. We did not taste it, but given the other cakes, I have no worries that it will be fabulous.
We will also have a least one Pumpkin Cheescake, a Hummingbird Cake and a two tiers Apple Cake. Yes, we will after all have a "ceremony cake" for us to cut. The decoration wil be the crushed pecans all over, and I'm consiedering finding a few really pretty fall leaves, washing them well and placing them around the cake at the last minute.

No need to tell you that I was not very hungry for dinner after that. I did very much enjoyed the cake left overs in the day after and I really look forward to have our guests try those great cakes. Our baker will also be bringing the cakes on site.

What's your favorite cake? Did you pick that one for your wedding or did you go for something more traditionnal?

No comments: