Friday, September 5, 2008

I'll have it cutstom, please (part 2)

I left you at the moment when I opened the door of Blue. It was a Saturday morning and the store was calm. I could here some sounds upstairs but no one came to greet me, so I silently moved aroudn and used the opportunity to look around without being questioned by the sales assistant.
After a few minutes, someone came down. He presented himself as the assistant of the jewlers and took time to show me what they had and answered most of my questions.
I tried a few beautiful rings, some thin, some larger.

Here is a sample of their work, all copyright to Blue.

As you can see there is definitely creativity involved.

At that point I knew I wanted texture, so I was attracted by the brushed rings, the hammered silver bands and the engraved ones. The assistant told me that it could be difficult to do a thin hammered ring, so I took that option out of my mind. It didn't matter because my eyes go caught on this:
A diamond engraved band. I didn't want a diamond though, but thankfully the assistant had a few simple band with the hand engraving to show me. I tried it and well loved it. I liked the yellow tones of gold and the contrast it made with my ring. However my husband's opinion was also important, and this ring was twice what I was thinking to put in my wedding band given our budget so I decided to come back with him.

The second visit was a fiasco. We were on our way out of town, I was expecting a wedding shoes delivery from UPS and stalking my phone to hear from them and knowing I was stressed, my husband didn't say a word when all I wanted was to hear his opinion. All he said was that white gold matched my engagement ring better.
But after I calmed down we talked in the car and though more about our options. I did still want a mix of golds so when he came up with the idea on his own I couldn't help myself from dreaming about a 3 level ring, with an engraved center.
We came back the next week and takled with the actual jewler.
It was quickly obvious that my idea was not feasable for them.
The engraving would dissapear when they would "melt/attach" the 3 sections together, not to mention that that technique is super expensive.

I was ready to just settle for my pretty engraved ring in white gold, but I played with the rings on my fingers a little more and we decided that a white gold and an engraved yellow gold ring looked pretty together as the yellow gold was framed between the e-ring and the other one. I loved it. There was the option to get the middle one engraved and instead of getting them together like one ring, the jewler could do a two point attach in the back. There would still be a little space in between but they wouldn't move. Since the e-ring would be separated from the rest anyway I wasn't bothered.

However, again the budget price put a halt on things: it would be a thousand dollar. Ouch! But I loved that idea so much.
So what we decided was to get the engraved ring now as a wedding band and that later on we would add a white gold band and attach it. That girl loves the idea. The hubby said "Thanks!" pretending to be trapped in a "buy me later gift".

I decided on the green gold verstion (it has more silver and zinc than copper added to the gold), it looks more like the medieval gold and I love it. What I love too is that this is all recycled gold and my little eco-friendly mind sure is happy with it.

Here is what it looked like with a way too big for my hands ring:

On the way to the car I told Hubby: "We could have this second ring for a special occasion, like having kids.." I paused and then said "Do you want to have kids now?" Yeah, I'm a girl and I can't wait to have my rign.

How was your wedding ring shopping process? Did you already plan to have an anniversary ring?

No comments: